Eric,

The point is simply that you can only fully simulate emotions with a body as well as a brain. And emotions while identified by the conscious brain are felt with the body

I don't find it at all hard to understand - I fully agree - that emotions are generated as a result of computations in the brain. I agree with cog. sci. that they are highly functional in helping us achieve goals.

My underlying argument, though, is that your (or any) computational model of emotions, if it does not also include a body, will be fundamentally flawed both physically AND computationally.

Mike> Eric Baum: What is Thought [claims that] feelings.are
Mike> explainable by a computational model.

Mike> Feelings/ emotions are generated by the brain's computations,
Mike> certainly. But they are physical/ body events. Does your Turing
Mike> machine have a body other than that of some kind of computer
Mike> box? And does it want to dance when it hears emotionally
Mike> stimulating music?

Mike> And does your Turing Machine also find it hard to feel - "get in
Mike> touch with" - feelings/ emotions? Will it like humans massively
Mike> overconsume every substance in order to get rid of unpleasant
Mike> emotions?

If its running the right code.

If you find that hard to understand, its because your "understanding"
mechanism has certain properties, and one of them is that it has
having trouble with this concept. I claim its not surprising either
that evolution programmed in an understanding mechanism like that,
but I suggest it is possible to overcome in the same way that
physicists were capable of coming to understand quantum mechanics.

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?&;