On Jun 4, 2007, at 8:07 AM, Mark Waser wrote:
(Depending on your specific type of interest in a company, an argument can be made that warrants can be more valuable than equity.)

Warrants have the same control problems as options do -- magnified by the fact that they are transferable. They are definitely not what I would call acceptable for this purpose.

Eh? What is the problem with them being transferable? Of what value are these instruments to anyone if they are not ultimately transferable? This is the kind of "control freak" tendency that makes many startup ventures untenable; if you cannot give up some control (and I will grant such tendencies are not natural), you might not be the best person to be running such a startup venture. If I was a VC looking at your company -- not a foreign role for me -- the fixation on that aspect would raise red flags.

Blue sky ventures and "maintaining control" are pretty much in opposition to each other if you do not want to marginalize your funding opportunities. The lack of intrinsic capital is going to make things tough, because the only real currency you have *is* control.

Cheers,

J. Andrew Rogers