On 6/10/07, Mark Waser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
YKY> Think:  if you have contributed something, it'd be in your best
interest to give accurate estimates rather than exaggerate or depreciate
them

MW> Why wouldn't it be to my advantage to exaggerate my contributions?

YKY> But your peers in the network won't allow that.

MW> That is an entirely different argument (and one that I'm not willing
to concede since I don't believe that the network can accurately prevent
exaggeration without accidentally short-changing some decent percentage of
contributors).  Your statement was "if you have contributed something, it'd
be in your best interest to give accurate estimates rather than exaggerate
or depreciate them".  I would like an explanation of why part of your
statement is true.

YKY> Sorry it's a bit complicated...

A)  First, there's the problem of estimating how much a *particular
piece*of contribution is worth.  As I've explained before, this will
be done by
self-rating + optional peer-rating + etc...  and I think it will
give acceptable estimates on average.

You said:  "*I don't believe that the network can accurately prevent
exaggeration without accidentally short-changing some decent percentage of
contributors*".  I don't understand what exactly you mean by
"short-changing".  Can you give an example?  Are you saying that a decent
percentage of contributors would recieve *systematically incorrect*
crediting?  I wonder why.

B)  Secondly, there's the problem of someone wanting to "check out" while
taking some other members' contributions along (note: one is always free
to use one's *own* ideas / contributions elsewhere).  In that case we need
to estimate how much shares the new project owes the consortium.  Maybe
we'll rely on the managerial board for that.  But the most important part is
(A).

My statement that you questioned above, is re estimating X% = $C / $C +
$c, which is my earlier idea for solving (B).  But it's not essential to the
scheme, and it seems overly complicated, so we may simply ask the managerial
board to make an estimate instead.

YKY