On 7/28/07, Mike Tintner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  "Joel Pitt" <
> > Learning baby speech:
> > http://www.stuff.co.nz/4140624a28.html?source=RSStech_20070726
> >
> > "In the past, people have tried to argue it wasn't possible for any
> > machine to learn these things, and so it had to be hard-wired (in
> > humans)," he said. "Those arguments, in my view, were not particularly
> > well grounded."
> >

> Thanks. That's interesting. The hard-wired theory of language learning
> sounds way too complicated.
>
> What theories are there re when babies start learning to talk? I wonder to
> what extent it is to do with having achieved a minimal, consistent sensory
> model of the world, or with possibly having achieved a certain vocal
> control.

You might want to check out "The Symbolic Species" by Terrence Deacon.
He gives a coherent account of language evolution and acquisition
while rejecting the idea of a "language organ" or "language
acquisition device".

http://www.amazon.com/Symbolic-Species-Co-Evolution-Language-Brain/dp/0393317544/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-6747349-8129269?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1185644836&sr=8-1

-Jey Kottalam