The proceedings (edited by Ben Goertzel and Pei Wang) from our 2006 AGI Workshop (sponsored by Novamente) has been published. You can purchase the book or check for the individual papers at the Workshop’s website

Here’s an excerpt from the introduction:

This book contains materials that come out of the Artificial General Intelligence Research Institute (AGIRI) Workshop, held in May 20-21, 2006 at Washington DC. The theme of the workshop is “Transitioning from Narrow AI to Artificial General Intelligence.”

In this introductory chapter, we will clarify the notion of “Artificial General Intelligence”, briefly survey the past and present situation of the field, analyze and refute some common objections and doubts regarding this area of research, and discuss what we believe needs to be addressed by the field as a whole in the near future. Finally, we will briefly summarize the contents of the other chapters in this collection.

1. What is meant by “AGI”

“Artificial General Intelligence”, AGI for short, is a term adopted by some researchers to refer to their research field. Though not a precisely defined technical term, the term is used to stress the “general” nature of the desired capabilities of the systems being researched — as compared to the bulk of mainstream Artificial Intelligence (AI) work, which focuses on systems with very specialized “intelligent” capabilities. While most existing AI projects aim at a certain aspect or application of intelligence, an AGI project aims at “intelligence” as a whole, which has many aspects, and can be used in various situations. There is a loose relationship between “general intelligence” as meant in the term AGI and the notion of “g-factor” in psychology [1]: the g-factor is an attempt to measure general intelligence, intelligence across various domains, in humans.

For more of these kinds of updates, see my blog - www.novamente.net/bruce_blog

Toward a +Singularity
Bruce