Why would an AI need to talk to itself or 'sleep'? What function does
it serve?

I thought there were some quite well-established hypotheses (which doesn't mean that they're at all right) - by AI thinkers - that sleep might be essential for, among other things, reprocessing the events of the past day, and possibly reprogramming accordingly. And perhaps dreams are a part of that. I've definitely read stuff along those lines, but I'm giving you my garbled memories.