On 10/3/07, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The higher levels detect complex objects like airplanes or printed words or
> faces.  We could (lossily) compress images much smaller if we knew how to
> recognize these features.  The idea would be to compress a movie to a written
> script, then have the decompressor reconstruct the movie.  The reconstructed
> movie would be different, but not in a way that anyone would notice, in the
> same way that pairs of images such as
> http://www.slylockfox.com/arcade/6diff/index.html would have the same
> compressed representations.

Is this because we use a knowledgebase of classes for things like
"airplane" that can be used to fill in the details that are lost
during compression?

Can that KB be seeded, or must it be experientially evolved from a
more primitive precept?  Consider how little useful skill a human baby
has compared to other animals.  Perhaps thats the trade-off for a high
potential general intelligence, there must be a lot of faltering and
(semi-) useless motion while learning the basics.