Lossless compression can be far from what intelligence does because
structure of categorization that intelligence performs on the world
probably doesn't correspond to its probabilistic structure.

As I see it, intelligent system can't infer many universal laws that
will hold in the distant future and will help it in going through
life. Instead it prepares a 'toolkit' (long term memory) that enables
it to quickly assemble such categorization 'on the spot', from
short-term memories and immediate perception. So, for each possible
short-term experience intelligent system with given long term memory
can create a category (defined by set of activated concepts). Each
possible category defines an equivalence class of possible
experiences. These categories don't necessarily come with probability
labels.

--
Vladimir Nesov                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]