Mike Tintner wrote in his Wed 10/3/2007 6:22 PM post:

"BUT THERE'S NO ONE REMOTELY CLOSE TO THE LEVEL, SAY, OF VON NEUMANN OR
TURING, RIGHT? AND DO YOU REALLY THINK A REVOLUTION SUCH AS AGI IS GOING
TO COME ABOUT WITHOUT THAT KIND OF REVOLUTIONARY, CREATIVE THINKER? JUST
BY TWEAKING EXISTING SYSTEMS, AND INCREASING COMPUTER POWER AND
COMPLEXITY?  HAS ANY INTELLECTUAL REVOLUTION EVER HAPPENED THAT WAY?? "

First, I would be very surprised if there are not quite a few people in
these fields with IQs roughly as high as Turing and Von Neumann.  I don’t
know exactly how many standard deviations they were above average, but the
IQ bell curve is not going down.  The evidence is its going up.   Plus the
percent of the world’s children who are receiving good educations is
increasing all the time.  So there should actually be more really
brilliant thinkers now than in any imagined past age of supposed mental
Titans.

Of course, as technical and scientific fields develop there is less bold
new fertile ground to be broken and fewer truly seminal ideas left to
develop.  My teenage son is into rock and roll.  He bemoans that there
isn't as much excitingly new music today as in the late sixties to
mid-seventies.  That’s because so much fertile conceptual musical ground
was broken in those years, and, thus, there are fewer vast really new and
yet satisfying expanses to explore.

The same is true in AI, the field is over fifty years old.  A lot of very
valuable thinking was done in each of those five decades.  People like
Turing, Shannon, Minsky, Quillian, Simon, Newall, and Shank, to mention a
very very few, have done some really good foundational work.  So there is
much less room for revolutionary breakthroughs.  At this point I think
synthesis, and large scale experimentation, and tweaking is probably
required more than revolutionary breakthroughs.

In fact, I think some people actually have a pretty good idea about how to
achieve human level AGI, or at least something much closer to it.  I don't
want to sound like a one note piano, but take Novamente for example.
Read the longer articles Ben Goertzel has written about it carefully
several times and then try to open your mind to exactly what such a system
could do if running on massive hardware and trained sufficiently well to
have human level world knowledge.  There is a lot of fertile ground to be
plowed by getting systems of that type up and running on
world-knowledge-computing-capable hardware with the proper training – and
then seeing where it gets us.  My hunch is that with the right teams and
the right, yes, tweaking, it will get us pretty damn far.   And if it does
not get us to truly human level AI, it will at least provide us with
extremely powerful and valuable advances in computation, and -- more
importantly to the issue of this post -- give us a much more clear
understanding of the problems that have yet to be solved to actually get
us there.

I think we understand a lot about semantic meaning, generalized semantic
representation, non-literal matching and invariant representation, goal
systems and importance weighting, automatic learning, massively parallel
and context and goal sensitive probabilistic inference, and the focusing
of such inferences though mechanisms like intelligent parallel terraced
scans, task specific learned search parameter tuning, dynamic search
control feedback mechanisms, dynamic thresholding, accumulated prior
activation, and consciousness, itself -- and many many more pieces of this
fascinating, whiring, wizing, flashing, throbing, computational puzzle.
Now is the time to start putting this stuff together in large systems and
see who can be the first team to get it all to work together well.

Deb Roy, is a very bright guy at the MIT media lab who is doing some
really wild and crazy stuff.  After a lecture he gave to a relatively
small audience at MIT roughly two years ago, I went up to the lectern and
told him I didn’t see any brick walls between us and human level AI, that
is, I didn’t see any part of the AI problem that we don’t already have
reasonable approaches to.  I asked him if him if he know of any.  He
answered with a smile “I don’t see any brick walls either”

The biggest brick wall is the small-hardware mindset that has been
absolutely necessary for decades to get anything actually accomplished on
the hardware of the day.  But it has caused people to close their minds to
the vast power of brain level hardware and the computational richness and
complexity it allows, and has caused them, instead, to look for magic
conceptual bullets that would allow them to achieve human-like AI on
hardware that has roughly a millionth the computational, representational,
and interconnect power of the human brain.  That’s like trying to model
New York City with a town of seven people.  This problem has been
compounded by the pressure for academic specialization and the pressure to
produce demonstratable results on the type of hardware most have had
access to in the past.

Rather than this small hardware thinking, those in the field of AGI should
open up their minds to the power of big numbers -- complexity as some call
It -- one of the most seminal concepts in all of science.  They should
look at all of the very powerful tools AI has already cooked up for us and
think how these tools can be put together into powerful systems once we
were are free from the stranglehold of massively sub-human hardware - as
we are now starting to be.  They should start thinking how do we actually
do appropriate probabilistic and goal weighted inference in world
knowledge with brain level hardware in real time.

Some have already spend a lot of time thinking about exactly this.  Those
who are interested in AGi -- and haven’t already done so -- should follow
their lead.

Edward W. Porter
Porter & Associates
24 String Bridge S12
Exeter, NH 03833
(617) 494-1722
Fax (617) 494-1822
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Edward Porter:I don’t know about you, but I think there are actually a lot
of very bright people in the interrelated fields of AGI, AI, Cognitive
Science, and Brain science.  There are also a lot of very good ideas
floating around.

Yes there are bright people in AGI. But there's no one remotely close to
the level, say, of von Neumann or Turing, right? And do you really think a
revolution such as AGI is going to come about without that kind of
revolutionary, creative thinker? Just by tweaking existing systems, and
increasing computer power and complexity?  Has any intellectual revolution
ever happened that way? (Josh?)
  _____

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?
<http://v2.listbox.com/member/?&;