All interesting (and complex!) phenomena happen at the edges/fringe. Boundary
conditions seem to be a requisite for complexity. Life originated on a planet
(<10E-10 of space), on its surface (<10E-10 of its volume). 99.99+% of the
fractal curve area is boring, it's just the edges of a very small area that's
particularly interesting. 99.999999% of life is not intelligent. 99.99999% of
possible computer programs are completely uninteresting. Hence 99.9999% of
glider configurations will be completely uninteresting and utterly boring. Most
of Wolfram's rules produce boring, predictable patterns too.
=Jean-Paul