Dear indefinite article,

The Wikipedia entry for "Flynn Effect" suggests --  in agreement with your
comment in the below post --  that older people (at least those in the
pre-dementia years) don't get dumber with age relative to their younger
selves, but rather relative to the increasing intelligence of people
younger than themselves (and, thus, relative to re-normed IQ tests).

Perhaps that is correct, but I can tell you that based on my own
experience, my ability to recall things is much worse than it was twenty
years ago.  Furthermore, my ability to spend most of three or four nights
in a row lying bed in most of the night with my head buzzing with concepts
about an intellectual problem of interest without feeling like a total
zombiod in the following days has substantially declined.

Since most organs of the body diminish in function with age, it would be
surprising if the brain didn't also.

We live in the age of political correctness where it can be dangerous to
one’s careers to say anything unfavorable about any large group of people,
particularly one as powerful as the over 45, who, to a large extent, rule
the world.  (Or even to those in the AARP, which is an extremely powerful
lobby.)  So I don't know how seriously I would take the statements that
age doesn't affect IQ.

My mother, who had the second highest IQ in her college class, was a great
one for relaying choice tidbits.  She once said that Christiaan Barnard,
the first doctor to successfully perform a heart transplant, once said
something to the effect of

                “If you think old people look bad from the outside, you
should see how bad they look from the inside.”

That would presumably also apply to our brains.

Edward W. Porter
Porter & Associates
24 String Bridge S12
Exeter, NH 03833