From: a [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, October 13, 2007 9:36 AM
To: agi@v2.listbox.com
Subject: Re: [agi] The Grounding of Maths

Bayesian nets, Copycat, Shruiti, Fair Isaac, and CYC, are a failure,

Bayesian and fair Issac are not failures they generate tens or hundreds of
millions a dollars a year in economic value.  But they are limited.
Approaches to reducing such limitations are beginning to arrive.

probably because of their lack of grounding.

Yes

According to Occam's Razor the simplest method of grounding visual images
is not words, but vision.

Actually evidence indicates the brain uses a gen/comp hierarchical
representation built on visual primatives.  But yest it makes sense to
ground visual things with visual things.

I think that people do not notice visual pictures, visual motion and
visual text when they read is because they are mostly subconscious.
Mathematicians do not realize visual calculations because they do it in
their subconscious.

My prior post acknowledge as much, but the difference is that I believe
for certain types of reasoning non-visual memories, generalizations, and
inferences may the the dominant force.

There is also auditory memory. You memorize the words purely as sounds
by subvocalization and then visualize it on-the-fly. I don't think there
is "auditory grounding". Auditory is a simply a method of efficient
storage, without translating it into visual.

What evidence do you have that auditory memories can not be used for
auditory grounding?  In fact, without auditory grounding how do you think
audio perception would work?

You can also memorize the image of text. Then as you "understand" it,
you perform OCR.

Why can't you just understand it at the level of the words that have been
derived from the original reading (or OCRing)of the text.  If it is best
to store visual information with visual representations, why wouldn't it
be best to store verbal information with verbal representations.

I am beginning to wonder if you are serious, or just playing with me.

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?&;