Edward W. Porter wrote:
Richard,

I am aware of the type-token distinction, and I think the distinction between the class of Diet Coke cans and the particular physical object can_1 I discussed in my prior email is, in fact, an example of just such a distinction.

If not, please to explain to me why it is not.

I will explain, as you request.

The "type-token" distinction you refer to is one aspect of how types and tokens manifest themselves, but it is not the sense that is relevant to the discussion we were having ... and it is because you did not perceive the way it was relevant, that I dismissed your last post so abruptly and suggested further reading.

The issue in the case of Granger's model of cognition is that there are some types of system in which the arrival of a percept (e.g. image of a coke can) causes the [coke can] node to become activated.

So far so good, but what if two coke cans are seen? In these primitive types of system, two coke cans simply cause the ONE [coke can] to fire some more. How does the system represent the appearance of two things that belong to the same category? Simple answer: in Granger's system and in other simple systems of this sort, there is NO provision for representing two coke cans, because all that can happen is that the one [coke can] node fires when there is evidence for any number of coke cans in the visual field.

Ideally, we would like the system to have spare nodes available (this is the Good Old fashioned AI way of doing things), so the system can assign [node_32718] to the first coke can, and [node_32719] to the second coke can, and then make links back to the generic [coke can] node (with the links probably labelled with the IS-A marker).

Trouble with that way of doing things is this: well, in fact, there isn't anything particularly wrong with this way of doing things, EXCEPT that Granger's naive idea of a neural representation scheme makes absolutely no provision for temporary nodes that can be used in this way to represent instances. His system cannot do this. The neural machinery to do this, if it existed in his model of cognition, would be utterly crucial to the operation of the system, but it is not there. He leaves it out. He seems unaware that some such machinery is needed.

One of the main reasons to ask about this issue of how temporary nodes are deployed to represent instances is that IF such temporary nodes exist, THEN more than likely they are not simply fixed clusters of neurons. If they were just fixed clusters, how would they be recruited, how would they be transiently connected to the generic [coke can] nodes, how could they later develop and become more permanent, or how could they be recycled for use as other temporary concepts? A whole rat's nest of issues is raised by the choice about how to represent instances. And the worst part of this rat's nest of issues is that whichever way you choose to resolve the problem, the simple idea of {one concept equals one fixed cluster of neurons} will probably have to be abandoned.

Does Granger deal with this? Does he show any sign that he understands this? No. Instead, he naively assumes that clusters of neurons represent concepts like [coke can], and he talks as if the only important thing is to see that the [coke can] cluster has its activation increased when a coke can is seen (or thought about).

So, to summarize. If Granger means us to take his model as it stands, then there are single, fixed clusters of neurons encoding concepts, and the system cannot represent multiple instances 9and as a model of cognition, therefore, it is Dead On Arrival). If, on the other hand, someone modifies or extends Granger's model so that it can deal with multiple instances, the modifications would have to be so extensive that there is a very high probability that everything he said in his paper would have to be thrown out, and he would have to start all over again.

That is the "type/token" problem I was talking about. I was not making any reference to any of the other type/token issues that you were alluding to.

If you look back at Ben Goertzel's responses to myself and Mark Waser, you will see that he concedes that the cognitive psychology component of Granger's paper is "largely BS". It is issues such as this one that, I believe, he had in mind when he said that. Ben actually went further and suggested that some of Susan Greenfield's proposals might be used to resolve the problem ... but he then adds that, of course, this was not what Granger was proposing.

*****

I have gone back and re-read your previous post in which you explain in detail your thoughts about the differences between coke cans seen in different contexts. The problem (and I hope you can see this now) is that none of it makes any difference because that was not the issue I raised: I talked only about the ability of Granger's model to encode any of the distinctions you talked about. My beef with Granger is that he implicitly uses a model that cannot handle the representation of multiple instances of the same type of object.

*****

Now, please believe me, but when I first wrote about how bad I thought Granger's paper was, I did not have the slightest intention of criticising you: I was not rude to you, made no personal attack on you, nor implied you were stupid. I simply launched an attack on the content of his paper. I was shocked when you came back and seemed to take it personally that I had attacked his paper, because I did not put any blame on you at all. Since then I have tried to keep emotion out of the discussion: if you read our sequence of exhanges you will see that I have been brief and to the point, and I have disagreed, but the only way you can see rudeness is if you choose to find rudeness in what was actually an attempt to deal with complex issues in a brief span of words. I am certainly annoyed at the general problem caused by papers such as Granger's, but that annoyance should not be mistaken for a personal attack on you.

The only point at which I became testy was in that last message when you really did start to make personal remarks. I mean, come on: all those sarcastic references to the word "DEEP"? Those implications that I was simply being closed minded? Did I engage in such sarcasm?

(When I used the emphasized word "DEEP", by the way, I was meaning "This is a heck of a big issue to get into, and I dread the thought of having to explain the whole thing in posts to this list, because then we will be here all week." That was all.)

Please review the sequence if you are not convinced of this: I intended no personal rudeness, and other than a little impatience with the amount of time I was spending on the matter, I do not believe I showed any.

And then, I did indeed suggest that you should do some more reading.

Do you not think, in the light of the explanation I have just given above, that it would be fair to say that the real issue I was addressing (Grangers' model's inability to handle particular types of encodings) was not actually in your mind when you replied? Is it not true that you did indeed miss the point completely? And if a person misses the point in such a significant way, several posts in a row, AND starts to become angry and tell me that I should stop being so closed-minded, would it not be fair, under those circumstances, that I run out of energy to write an entire textbook to explain, and instead just say that you really should do some more reading?

My suggestion about the reading was a last resort.

Finally, do not drag my interactions with other people into this discussion, please. Some people here have known me for a long time, and some have axes that they like to get out and grind. As I have said before, when people mount unprovoked attacks, I tend to respond. Simple as that. If you want to know more about the reason why, email me in private.

Regards,

 (... and nevertheless, with respect,)

Richard Loosemore

With regard you P.S., I agree very much with its general thrust. I have normally attempted to avoid attacking people themselves. In fact, except for issue were I feel it is important to fight hard for a paradigm shift, such as in fighting the small machine mindset, I normally try to be relatively tempered even in my critiques.

BUT RICHARD HAVE YOU ANY IDEA HOW INSULTING AND DISMISSIVE THE TONE OF MANY OF YOUR OWN POSTS HAVE BEEN -- NOT ONLY TO ME -- BUT TO OTHERS? I would guess at least 1/3 of your many posts in this thread have either explicitly or implicitly been more insulting than my language you complained of below. For example, in the below post you implied I am too dumb to know what the type-token distinction is and need to do some reading to understand it, with the implication you know much more on the subject than I. This is when my response, if you actually took the time to read it, indicates I was not only aware of the distinction, but directly addressing it (although, in the interest of space and time, perhaps not every possible ramification of it). In sum, such an implication is quite an insult. I emphasized the word “DEEP” with implied reverb in the post before not because it was incorrect to label the issue as deep, in fact, I thought it was deep, but because of the implication that it was too “DEEP” for me, but not you, with our current respective levels of knowledge, to understand.
Are you capable of understanding how that might be considered insulting?

But that is nothing compared to some of the dismissive language I have read in some of your responses to others.

So, Richard, I was only trying to give you a hint -- so a note like this would not be necessary -- to treat others a little more the way you apparently want them to treat you. If we could all do that, perhaps we could have a little more light and a little less darkness on this list.

Ed Porter