I have recently been trying to find better formalisms than TMs for
different classes of adaptive systems (including the human brain), and
have come across the Persistent Turing Machines[1], which seem to be a
good first step in that direction.

They have expressiveness claimed to be greater than TM[2], although I
have not had a chance to go through the proof, I can see the
possibility as they can change the function of the input to output mid
computation so may not be subject to the same problems of halting as
TM. Although if you include the input history as well as the
specification of a PTM in the code you are trying to prove statements
about, you can probably construct similar questions it cannot answer.

Has there been any other work towards the goal of better taxonomies
for adaptive systems?

  Will Pearson

[1] http://www.cs.brown.edu/people/dqg/Papers/wurzburg.ps
[2] http://www.cse.uconn.edu/~dqg/papers/its.pdf