To me this point seems only partially valid. 1M hand coded rules seems excessive, but there should be some number (100? 1000?) of hand-coded rules (not unchangeable!) that it can start from. An absolute minimum would seem to be "everything in 'Fun with Dick and Jane' through 'My Little White House'". That's probably not sufficient, but you need to at least cover those patterns. Most (though not all) of the later patterns are, or can be, built out of the earlier ones via miscellaneous forms of composition and elision. This gives context within which other patterns can be learned.

Note that this is extremely much simpler that starting your learning from a clean slate.

Vladimir Nesov wrote:
Linas,

Yes, you probably can code all the patterns you need. But it's only
the tip of the iceberg: problem is that for those 1M rules there are
also thousands that are being constantly generated, assessed and
discarded. Knowledge formation happens all the time and adapts those
1M rules to gazillion of real-world situations. You can consider those
additional rules 'inference', but then again, if you can do your
inference that good, you can do without 1M of hand-coded rules,
allowing system to learn them from the ground up. If your inference is
not good enough, it's not clear how many rules you'd need to code in
manually, it may be 10^6 or 10^12, or 10^30, because you'd also need
to code _potential_ rules which are not normally stored in human
brain, but generated on the fly.

I plan to support recent context through a combination of stable
activation patterns (which is analogous to constant reciting of
certain phrase, only on lower level) and temporary induction (roughly,
cooccurrence of concepts in near past leads to them activating each
other in the present, and similarly there are temporary concepts being
formed all the time, of which only those which get repeatedly used in
their short lifetime are retained for longer and longer).