Can humans keep superintelligences under control -- can
superintelligence-augmented humans compete

Richard Loosemore (RL>>>>) wrote the following on Fri 11/2/2007 11:15 AM,

My comments are preceded by ED>>>>

instead of
dealing with each issue as if there were many possibilities, it pretends
that there is only one possible outcome to each issue.

In this respect it is as bad as (or worse than) all the science fiction
nonsense that has distorted AI since before AI even existed.

Matt doesn’t describe all the multiple possibilities, but are the
possibilities he describes really worse than science fiction nonsense?

I personally think Matt has raises some real and important issues.  We
have had go-rounds on this list before about similar subjects, such as
under the thread “Religion-free technical content.” When we did a
significant number of the people on this list seemed to agree with the
notion that superhuman-level AGI poses a treat to mankind.  I think even
Eliezer Yudkowsky, who has spend a lot of time on this issue, does not yet
consider it solved.  That is one of the reasons so many of us believe in
the need for some sort of transhumanist transformation so that our
descendants (whatever they may be) have a chance to continue surviving in
the presence of such superintelligences.

control --
machines that are vastly smarter."  According to some interpretations of
how AI systems will be built, this is simply not true at all.  If AI
systems are built with motivation systems that are stable, then we could
predict that they will remain synchronized with the goals of the human
race until the end of history.  This does not mean that we could
"predict" them in the sense of knowing everything they would say and do
before they do it, but it would mean that we could know what their goals
abd values were - and this would be the the only important sense of the
word "predict".

that are stable in an intelligent, learning, human- or superhuman-level
AGI in a complex changing world.  Yes, I think you can make a Roomba have
a stable motivation system and limited AGI’s with them, but that does not
mean you could make a superhuman-level AGI -- learning and acting with a
considerable freedom in our complex world -- have one.

First it is difficult to define goals in ways that cover all the
situations in which they might have to be applied.  Situations may come up
when it is not at all clear what should be done to pursue the goal.  This
is particularly true when it comes to goals such as be friendly to people.

Second, most systems of any complexity will have conflicting goals or be
subject to situations in which application of the same goal to different
parts of the reality can conflict.  For example, should a human-friendly
AGI kill a terrorist before he blows up a suicide bomb in a crowded
market.  If it could have, should it have shot down one or both of the
airplanes that hit the World Trade Center on 9/11 as they were close to
hitting the building.  In an over crowded world, should it kill half of
humanity to make more room and better lives in a for the billions of
remaining human, since those left living would be conscious to appreciate
the improved living conditions and those that were killed wouldn’t know
the difference.

Third, an intelligence of any generality and power has to be able to
modify its goals, such as by creating subgoals and by interpreting how
goals apply in different situations, and these powers conflict with
stability.

I have read your paper on complexity cited by you, I think, when a
somewhat similar discussion arose before.  I came away with the feeling
your paper did not even come close to answering the above questions.  I
can understand how through complexity and grounding a goal could be
defined in ways that would be much more meaningful than if defined in just
words as naked symbols.  I also understand how you could hardwire certain
emotional responses to certain aspects of reality and make achieving or
avoiding such emotional responses top level goals or the top level goal.
But human have similar features in their goal structure, and still
occasionally act in ways that contradict instinctual goals and such
emotionally built in biases.  And it is not clear to what extent such
hardware encoded biases can deal with all of the issues of possible
conflicts and different possible interpretations that are bound to arise
in a complex world.  The world is likely to be more complex than any
grounding and/or biasing system you are going to put into these machines
too insure they stay friendly to people.

So that is why it is essential for humans to stay in the loop during the
transhuman transformation, for humans to use intelligence augmentation,
and for humans to keep a watch on the machines.  But as is discussed in
the last portion of this email, it is not clear how much this is going to
buy the human brain.

formal sense by Shane Legg
(http://www.vetta.org/documents/IDSIA-12-06-1.pdf).  This paper "proves"
nothing whatever about the issue!

Example 3:  "Recursive self improvement is a probabilistic, evolutionary
process that favors rapid reproduction and acquisition of computing
resources (aka intelligence), regardless of its initial goals."  This is
a statement about the goal system of an AGI, but it is extraordinarily
presumptious.  I can think of many, many types of non-goal-stack
motivational systems for which this statement is a complete falsehood.
I have described some of those systems on this list before, but this
paragraph simply pretends that all such motivational systems just do not
exist.

motivational system” is applicable for allowing an AGI to learn and act in
complex ways in a complex environment for some purpose or use that would
cause us humans to want to build them.  Rather than cite a book or a long
paper, please give at least a summary in several sentences of what you are
referring too.

And if you are referred to the complexity paper I discussed above, please
point out what I missed when reading it if you think it actually answers
the type of problems I discussed above.

less
dependent on human cooperation."  Absolutely not true.  If "humans" take
advantage of the ability to enhance their own intelligence up to the
same level as the AGI systems, the amount of "dependence" between the
two groups will stay exactly the same, for the simple reason that there
will not be a sensible distinction between the two groups.

i.e., for humans to increasingly become more machine (hopefully not too
fast), so humans can try to keep up with machines.

But there are real issues about the extent to which any intelligence which
has the human brain at its top level of control can compete with machines
that conceivably could have a top level decision process with hundreds or
millions of times the bandwidth.  There are also questions of how much
bandwidth of machine intelligence can be pumped into, or shared, with a
human consciousness and/or subconscious, i.e., how much of the
superintelligence we humans could be conscious of and/or effectively use
in our subconscious.

So if the human brain is not at the top level of decision making, we are
no longer in control.  And if our consciousnesses are not capable of
appreciating more than a small part of what the superintelligence we are
part of is doing, we won’t even be aware of exactly what most of the
bionic entity were are part of is thinking.

(Of course, this is somewhat similar to the way the subconscious affects
us.  It would not be that hard to have a system where the
superintelligence only communicates to our brain its consciousness, or
portions of its consciousness that its learing indicate will have a
certain importance or interest, so that it would be acting somewhat like
an extended subconsciousness to us that would occasionally pop ideas up
into our subconsciousness or consciousness.  This would greatly increase
our mental powers, particularly if we had the capability to send
information down to it to control it, give it sub-goals, or queries, etc.
But this would not solve the limited bottle neck of the human brain’s top
level decision making)

So we would not be keeping up with the machines.  They would be taking us
along for the ride – that is, for as long as they desired to continue
doing so.

OF COURSE IT IS AT LEAST CONCEIVABLE THAT WAYS COULD FOUND FOR HUMAN AND
VASTLY SUPERHUMAN-MACHINE CONSCIOUSNESS TO BE LARGELY MERGED AND SHARED.
I DON’T KNOW OF ANY, BUT I WOULD BE INTERESTING IN ANY FRACTIONALLY SOLID
IDEAS ABOUT THIS FROM READERS.

I currently tend to think of consciousness as massive spreading activation
in the human brain from certain sets of patterns (those in the mind
theater’s spotlight) to parts much of the subconscious the mind theater’s
audience).  In this mind theater the audience is interactive.  Different
audience member had different thinks in their heads and respond to
different activations in different ways.  Certain activations might cause
one or more audience members to shout out.

I think of consciousness and subconsciousness in an AGI in a similar
manner, but I do not know how much and in exactly which ways being inside
such a machine consciousness would be like being inside my own.  It would
have self awareness and grounding for its qualia, but I don’t know these
things would seem like on the inside.

Some brain scientist (I don’t know what percent) think consciousness might
be the result of waves in the Reticular Thalamic Nuclei (like those when a
rock hits smooth water) that send a rippling roughly circular activation
or dis-inhibition pattern throughout much of the cortex (like having the
microphone in stadium, to extend the mind theater concept.)   Some suggest
that the interlaminar Nuclei of the Thalamus effect consciousness by
selecting, probably under the influence of the prefrontal cortex and the
basil ganglia, the spiking pattern of a first set of cortical columns
representing one or more activations, and cause the cortico-thalamic
feedback loop to tune in on cortical columns having spiking patterns with
similar signal components, indicating they receive activation from or give
activation to cortical columns of the first set and/or causing other
cortical columns to be preferentially responsive to inputs having signal
components corresponding to output by the first set.

In any case, other than having certain number of electrical links between
nodes and links in a superintelligence and neurons the brain, it is not
clears how the two could meaningfully share their consciousnesses, and it
is not clear what the bandwidth of such links could be, how much bandwidth
the human brain is capable of making sense of, and how much of the human
brain should be given over to such links.

The questions is, how much better than a good video monitor and speaker
system could such links be.  Presumably they could communicate semantic
knowledge much faster, but how much, I haven’t a clue. (The improvement in
bandwidth could be much greater in the reverse direction, from the brain
out.

I WOULD BE INTERESTING IN OTHER PEOPLE’S THOUGHTS ON THIS ISSUE, BECAUSE
IT SEEMS TO BE AN IMPORTANT ONE IN DETERMINING HOW IMPORTANT A ROLE HUMAN
CONSCIOUSNESS CAN CONTINUE TO PLAY IN THE SUPERINTELLIGENCE FUTURE.

Ed Porter