In my below recent list of ways to improve the power of human intelligent
augmentation I forgot to think about possible ways to actually increase
the bandwidth of the top level decision making of the brain, which I had
listed as a real problem but had made no suggestions of how to improve
(other than mentioning a conceivable, but un-defined sharing of
consciousnesses that would be more than just implanted I/O between brain
and AGI).

On way to improve the bandwidth of the top level of human decision making
would be to replace or augment the brain's machinery for performing it,
which is probably in the prefrontal cortex, basil ganglia, and general
cortico-thalamic loop.  Some include the Cerebellum in such mechanism for
its role in fine tuning behaviors into the current context (including very
time sensitive feedback) and by controlling the timing of learned
sequential behaviors, including mental behaviors.

Some possible approaches

-A--have the AGI learn the goal system of the human brain and have
delegated authority to make decisions on its own, much as the basil
ganglia often does relative to our conscious decision processes.  (i.e.,
if you drop something you are often first aware of that fact by the
subconscious response your body is making to catch it.)  Such a system
could respond in real time to complex inputs thousands or millions of
times faster than a human.  Although it might not always do what we want,
neither does our basil ganglia.  It might be just as faithful to our goals
and emotions as the basil ganglia,  Such a system could help us keep pace
with many superintelligences, when, for example trying to prevent them
from infecting our trusted machines.

-B--Create a super intelligent basil ganglia (either by replacement or
supplementation) that receives the inputs from the portions of the cortex
the basil ganglia currently does, but also receives inputs from the AGI
and according to a goal system learned from the human mind, performs the
go-no-go, behavior/attention selecting function of the basil ganglia, on a
mix of inputs from the cortex and AGI's.  This would help prevent
behavioral conflicts between behaviors by a system like A and the rest of
the human brain

---or a combination of these two, or these two with other suggestions made
below.

Perhaps such a close connection between  the top level of an AGI and a
human brain could help provide the type of complex motivational grounding
and biases Richard Loosemore was talking about in his November 02, 2007
11:15 AM post as the proper approach for keeping AGI's subservient to
human interests.  Of course, thereis still no guarantee they would keep
them subservient until the end of history.

I know this is wacked-out stuff, but it actually might be relevant to the
future of mankind.

Ed Porter