On Nov 7, 2007 8:46 AM, Edward W. Porter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It is much easier to think how superhuman intelligences will outshine us
> in the performance arena, since all one has to do is take known human
> mental talents and extrapolate. It

seems to me it is more difficult to
> understand what new mental competences superintelligences will have
> because many of them involve abilities, that because they are outside our
> competence, we have not yet thought of.
>
> Ed Porter

Yes, that's the main concern here. But there appear to be 3 separate
varieties of "new-ness", one of which could be (and perhaps should be ??)
addressed more easily than the other two.
1. abilities that currently exist which we simply haven't noticed
2. concepts that haven't yet been discovered
3. abilities that haven't yet been expressed

For example, imagine if we lived in an environment where no one ever got
injured, so that there would be no scrapes, bruises, paper cuts, etc... We
wouldn't know of the body's ability to heal, that it could stop blood loss
via clotting at the location of the injury. This would be an ability that
exists but that we are unaware of. (type-1)

Fields/inventions such as those mentioned by Russell, below, - "experimental
mathematics, quantum chemistry and video games" would be examples of new
concepts discovered using existing mental & artificial machinery. (type-2
-tough to predict)

Examples of type-3, would depend on certain genes being activated to produce
new competencies such as .... the ability to consciously detect and correct
brain haemorhages ... or the ability to detect and eliminate cancerous
growths ..... or the ability to detect and correct unhealthy mutations in an
embryo. (type-3 - tough to predict)

So the question is are there type-1 competencies that we are overlooking?
This is relevant if we want our AGI partners to add to our abilities and not
give us what we already have (but are unaware of).

No matter whether AGIs help to extend our performance or our competence,
they would have work with the blueprint of human intelligence. That is they
would need to have a sufficiently detailed understanding of what the human
brain/mind can do and how it does that.
Eg: pacemakers and hearts .. etc.

-Monika