On Nov 14, 2007 11:58 PM, Bryan Bishop <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Are we sure? How much of the real world are we able to get into our AGI
> models anyway? Bandwidth is limited, much more limited than in humans
> and other animals. In fact, it might be the equivalent to worm tech.
>
> To do the calculations would I just have to check out how many neurons
> are in a worm, how many sensory neurons, and rough information
> theoretic estimations as to the minimum and maximums as to amounts of
> information processing that the worm's sensorium could be doing?

Pretty much.

Let's take as our reference computer system a bog standard video
camera connected to a high-end PC, which can do something (video
compression, object recognition or whatever) with the input in real
time.

On the worm side, consider the model organism Caenorhabditis elegans,
which has a few hundred neurons.

It turns out that the computer has much more bandwidth. Then again,
while intelligence unlike bandwidth isn't a scalar quantity even to a
first approximation, to the extent they are comparable our best
computer systems do seem to be considerably smarter than C. elegans.

If we move up to something like a mouse, then the mouse has
intelligence we can't replicate, and also has much more bandwidth than
the computer system. Insects are somewhere in between, enough so that
the comparison (both bandwidth and intelligence) doesn't produce an
obvious answer; it's therefore considered not unreasonable to say
present-day computers are in the ballpark of insect-smart.

Of course that doesn't mean if we took today's software and connected
it to mouse-bandwidth hardware it would become mouse-smart, but
hopefully it means when we have that hardware we'll be able to use it
to develop software that matches some of the things mice can do.

(And it's still my opinion that by accepting - embracing - slowness on
existing hardware we can work on the software at the same time as the
hardware guys are working on their end, parallel rather than serial
development.)