Matt,

>> On the other hand -- why would you worry about human civilization or
>> any civilization at all if you personally get what you want?

> That is exactly the problem.  I wouldn't worry about reducing my own fitness.

Why do you worry about "reducing your own fitness" now?

>> However I don't think that civilization would be totally destroyed.
>> Natural selection would keep working.
>> Whoever succumb to pleasure machines (or any other dangers) will
>> simply lose the competition, but other would survive and adapt to new
>> technologies.

> True, but it would not be anything like civilization as we know it.

That's the nature (and the goal) of progress.
Our current civilization is quite different from Ancient Egypt civilization
and even more different from how dinosaurs lived.

1 million years from now civilization would be extremely different
from ours even if AGI would never be invented.

Why do you worry about such change?

>   I wrote
> my thoughts on this. http://www.mattmahoney.net/singularity.html

That's an interesting article.
I don't agree with everything though.
For example you compare "human vs super AGI" as "bacteria vs human".
But that's not fair comparison.
Try to compare "dog vs human" and "bacteria vs dog".
Would you still claim that dog cannot observe human just because
bacteria doesn't see dog?
:-)

Could you allow comments under your article? That might be useful.