From: Matt Mahoney [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 9:24 PM
To: agi@v2.listbox.com
Subject: Distributed search (was RE: Hacker intelligence level [WAS Re:
[agi] Funding AGI research])

--- Ed Porter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Matt,
>
> Perhaps your are right.
>
> But one problem is that big Google-like compuplexes in the next five to
ten
> years will be powerful enough to do AGI and they will be much more
efficient
> for AGI search because the physical closeness of their machines will make
it
> possible for them to perform the massive interconnected needed for
powerful
> AGI much more efficiently.

Google controls about 0.1% of the world's computing power.  But I think
their
ability to achieve AGI first will not be so much due to the high bandwidth
of
their CPU cluster, as that nobody controls the other 99.9%.

Centralized search tends to produce monopolies as the cost of entry goes up.

It is not so bad now because Google still has a (dwindling) set of
competitors.  They can't yet hide content that threatens them.

Distributed search like Wikia/Atlas/Grub is interesting, but if people don't
see a compelling need for it, it won't happen.  How big will it have to get
before it is better than Google?  File sharing networks would probably be a
lot bigger and more useful (with mostly legitimate content) if we could
solve
the distributed search problem.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?&;