On 11/12/2007, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > http://lifeboat.com/ex/ai.shield

That's quite amusing.  Safeguarding humanity against dancing robots.

I don't believe that technology is something you can run away from, in
a space lifeboat or any other sort of refuge.  You just have to try to
get along with it and perhaps shape its course if you can.

> SIAI has not yet solved the friendliness problem.

I've always had problems with the concept of "friendliness" spoken
about by folks from SIAI.  It seems like a very ill-defined concept.
What does "friendly to humanity" really mean?  It seems to mean a lot
of different things to a lot of different people (observer relative).

> A human brain sized neural network requires about 10^15 bits of memory and
> 10^16 operations per second.

Direct comparisons between computing speed and brain activity I also
find problematic.  People often quote numbers like this without having
any idea how they were arrived at.  As far as I can discern all roads
lead back to Moravec, who based his figures upon the retina observing
a TV screen, and admitted that this was a very wobbly estimate
potentially subject to a wide margin of error.  I think until the
"essential function" of a neuron is known it's really hard to make
direct comparisons between what computers do and what brains do.