On Dec 21, 2007 6:56 PM, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --- Richard Loosemore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Still more nonsense:  as I have pointed out before, Hutter's implied
> > definitions of "agent" and "environment" and "intelligence" are not
> > connected to real world usages of those terms, because he allows all of
> > these things to depend on infinities (infinitely capable agents,
> > infinite numbers of possible universes, etc.).
> >
> > If he had used the terms "djshgd", "uioreou" and "astfdl" instead of
> > "agent", "environment" and "intelligence", his analysis would have been
> > fine, but he did not.  Having appropriated those terms he did not show
> > why anyone should believe that his results applied in any way to the
> > things in the real world that are called "agent" and "environment" and
> > "intelligence".  As such, his conclusions were bankrupt.
> >
> > Having pointed this out for the benefit of others who may have been
> > overly impressed by the Hutter paper, just because it looked like
> > impressive maths, I have no interest in discussing this yet again.
>
> I suppose you will also dismiss any paper that mentions a Turing machine as
> irrelevant to computer science because real computers don't have infinite
> memory.

Your assertions here do seem to have interpretation in which they are
correct, but it has little to nothing to do with practical matters.

For example, if 'intelligence' thing as defined by some obscure model
is measured as I(x)=1-1/x, where x depends on particular design, and
model investigates properties of Ultimate Intelligence of I=1, it
doesn't mean that there is any point in building a system with x>1000
if we already have one with x=1000, since it will provide only
marginal improvement. You can't get away with qualitative conclusion
like "and so, there is always a better mousetrap" without some
quantitative reasons for that.

--
Vladimir Nesov                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]