From: Benjamin Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: agi@v2.listbox.com
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2008 11:06:45 AM
Subject: Re: [agi] Incremental Fluid Construction Grammar released

 On Jan 10, 2008 10:26 AM, William Pearson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  wrote:
> On 10/01/2008, Benjamin Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > I'll be a lot more interested when people start creating NLP  systems
> > > that are syntactically and semantically processing statements  *about*
> > > words, sentences and other linguistic structures and adding  syntactic
> > > and semantic rules based on those sentences.
>
> Note the new emphasis ;-) You example didn't have statements *about*
> words, but new rules were inferred from word usage.

Well, here's the thing.

Dictionary text and English-grammar-textbook text are highly ambiguous  and
complex English... so you'll need a very sophisticated NLP system to be  able
to grok them...

OTOH, you could fairly easily define a limited, controlled syntax  encompassing
a variety of statements about words, sentences and other linguistic  structures,
and then make a system add syntactic and semantic rules based on these
sentences.

But I don't see what the point would be, because telling the system
stuff in the
controlled syntax would be basically as much work as explicitly  encoding
the rules...

-- Ben

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?&;