Hi all,

I'd like to kill this thread, because not only is it off-topic, but it seems not
to be going anywhere remotely insightful or progressive.

Of course a polynomial-time solution to the boolean satisfiability
problem could potentially have impact on AGI (though it wouldn't
necessarily do so -- this would depend on many things, e.g. the
average-case time of the algorithm, the size of the constants in front
of the terms of the polynomial, etc.).

However, no one has such a solution yet, and no one is putting forth
any detailed ideas about such a solution, in this thread.

There are lots of scientific breakthroughs that could impact AGI --
for instance, faster semiconductors, nanotech-based computer
memories, accelerated Monte Carlo integration routines, whatever --
but they're not really on-topic for the AGI list unless being discussed
specifically in the context of their AGI implications.

So, I wouldn't say discussions of P=NP are universally verboten
for this list; but unless there are specific AGI implications, let's
leave that sorta discussion for elsewhere.

Luke, I've also had some fun proofs of P=NP, and my best one only
lasted about 3 days ... but that is because I thought of it while
backpacking ... and it only evaporated after I wrote it down when
I got back from the wilds and checked the details ;-)

My office-mate in grad school proved P=NP and mailed the proof
to 200 professors worldwide.  He mailed a retraction 2 days later.
I believe he thought he had reduced it to linear programming
somehow.

Thanks
Ben Goertzel
List Owner

On Jan 20, 2008 1:51 PM, Vladimir Nesov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Jim,
>
> I'm sure most people here don't have any difficulty understanding what
> you are talking about. You seem to lack solid understanding of these
> basic issues however. Please stop this off-topic discussion, I'm sure
> you can find somewhere else to discuss computational complexity. Read
> a good textbook, if you are sincerely interested in these things.
>

> On Jan 20, 2008 9:21 PM, Jim Bromer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > I had no idea what you were talking about until I read
> > Matt Mahoney's remarks.  I do not understand why people have so much trouble
> > reading my messages but it is not entirely my fault.  I may have
> > misunderstood something that I read, or you may have misinterpreted
> > something that I was saying.  Or even both!  But if you want to continue
> > this discussion feel free.
> >
> > Robin said: As for your problem involving SAT, it's not applicable to P-NP
> > because they are classes of decisions problems
> > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decision_problem), which means problems that
> > can be answered yes or no.
> >
> > Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boolean_satisfiability_problem
> > In complexity theory, the Boolean satisfiability problem (SAT) is a decision
> > problem, whose instance is a Boolean expression written using only AND, OR,
> > NOT, variables, and parentheses. The question is: given the expression, is
> > there some assignment of TRUE and FALSE values to the variables that will
> > make the entire expression true?
> >

> --
> Vladimir Nesov                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> -----

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"We are on the edge of change comparable to the rise of human life on Earth."
-- Vernor Vinge