Regarding AIG research as potentially psychologically disturbing, there are
so many other ways to be pscyhologically disturbed in a postmodern world
that it may not matter :)

It's already hard for a lot of people to have a healthy level of self-esteem
or self-indentity, and nihilism is not in short supply in our society.

More positively, the Buddhists have been working on these issues for over
5,000 years:

*"The paradox is that what we take to be so real, our selves, is constructed
out of a reaction against just what we do not wish to acknowledge. We tense
up around that which we are denying, and we experience ourselves through our
tensions..."*

*Thoughts without a
Thinker<http://www.webheights.net/lovethyself/mepstein/methink.htm>
page 19 *