> SMT in particular seems to have deep potential applicability.

To add a little background, SMT is under heavy developement at Microsoft
and it is planned to be applied a lot. The basic progress is that the
new version of
Z3 is an order of magnitude faster than the last one, and is even a competitive
SAT-solver in addition to doing SMT. It is used in (at least) two
projects: one is
C code verification with the aim to fully verify a hypervisor written
in C (Verisoft
XT done in Saarbruecken), the other is parametrized unit tests integration
in Visual Studio called Pex (http://research.microsoft.com/Pex/).

As far as I know there is little or no work done yet to integrate probabilistic
reasoning with these solvers and it will probably not be easy to do it and
keep things efficient. Integrating these solvers directly into AGI
will probably be
quite hard as well - possibly as hard as just integrating DPLL with
clause learning
directly (the basic method for most SAT solvers and I guess SMT
solvers as well).

But even if there is no easy way to directly integrate or extend the
solvers for AGI,
there are numerous ways in which these can speed up AGI developement. It looks
like Microsoft is generating demand for formal verification which
never hurts. In
addition, you can try to use Pex for your .Net coding projects -
parametrized unit
tests are really really nice, almost like specification, just try and
see your bugs die! ;).

- lk