That there is some series of instructions, contained presumably in neurons (or in a computer) which produces a consistent series of movements/thoughts/actions in a family of situations. So when you/I write "when" it is almost certainly a programmed action, which can be and is automatically varied to suit different papers/ pens/ writing positions. Humans/animals almost certainly have a vast variety of such programmed, automatic routines.

The question vis-a-vis the fly - or any animal - is whether the *whole* course of action of the fly in that experiment can be accounted for by one - or a set of - programmed routines or programs period. My impression - without having studied the experiment in detail - is that it weighs against that conclusion, without being the final word.

What do *you* mean by program? (I would've thought there shouldn't be any problem here in understanding and agreeing on terms, but you tell me...)

Vlad: But perhaps the experiment, in demonstrating spontaneity, does weigh against
the idea of the fly being programmed?

What does this idea state? What do you mean when you say that
something is programmed? Can you provide examples of programmed and
not-programmed things which are described in sufficient detail (so
that saying 'a human' won't work, since we know too little about human
brain)?