On Jan 27, 2008 5:32 AM, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Software correctness is undecidable -- the halting problem reduces to it.
> Computer security isn't going to be magically solved by AGI.  The problem will
> actually get worse, because complex systems are harder to get right.

Computer security can be solved by more robust rights management and
by avoiding bugs that lead to security vulnerabilities. AGI can help
with both.

Software correctness IS decidable: you just don't write general
algorithms, you write algorithms that satisfy your requirements.
Fundamental problem with software correctness is that you can forget
about many requirements or get requirements wrong. Practical problem
with software correctness is that it's very costly to actually check
correctness, and it gets worse as requirements and software in
question get more complex. These problems can be dealt with if we have
fast (=cheap) and competent general intelligence.

--
Vladimir Nesov                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]