Richard,
There has been striking improvement in the deductive power of modern
programming IDE's (Integrated Development Environment).  I too considered the
approach you describe.  I use NetBeans for Java development.  It must keep at
least one representation of the source code syntax tree to perform such
operations as refactoring.  It has clever templates for code completion and so
forth.  NetBeans, like its peers, has a plug-in architecture in which a
developer-written component can obtain access to, and modify the internal
program editor state.

I have an intuition that I can describe in English what I want the system to
automatically program, but I am not ruling out an alternate GUI dialog
modality, especially to improve the cognitive bandwidth of this particular
dialog situation.

Does SAFAIRE support a conventional programming language?
-Steve

Stephen L. Reed
Artificial Intelligence Researcher
http://texai.org/blog