Steve,

To me, the following two questions are independent of each other:

*. What type of reasoning is needed for AI? The major answers are:
(A): deduction only, (B) multiple types, including deduction,
induction, abduction, analogy, etc.

*. What type of knowledge should be reasoned upon? The major answers
are: (1) declarative only, (2) declarative and procedural.

All four combination of the two answers are possible. Cyc is mainly
A1; you seem to suggest A2; in NARS it is B2.

McDermott's paper has many good points, but his notion of "logic" and
"semantics" are too limited --- to what the "Logicist AI" has been
trying.

As for Semantic Web and Ontology, I have no doubt that there are
useful for some special applications. However, from an AGI point of
view, their assumption about human knowledge is way to oversimplified.
I don't think the so-called "common knowledge" can be forced into the
rigid framework of "ontology", not to mention personal knowledge,
which is even more fluid.

Even so, we can use SW as a possible knowledge source, and use
inference engine to reveal hidden conclusions in it, so SW is still
relevant to AGI.

Pei