On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 2:17 AM, Jim Bromer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> A usage evaluation could be taken as an example of an effect of application,
> because the idea of usage and of statistical evaluation can be combined with
> the object of consideration along with other theories that detail how such
> combinations could be usefully applied to some problem.  But it is obviously
> not the only effective process that would be necessary to understand
> complicated systems.  No one would only use statistical models to discuss
> the management and operations of a real factory for example.  It is rather
> obvious that such limited methods would be grossly inadequate.  Why would
> anyone imagine that a narrow operational system would be adequate for an AI
> program?  The theory of the effect of application of an idea tries to
> address this inadequacy by challenging the programmer to begin to think
> about and program applications that can detail how simple interactive
> effects can be combined with novel insights in a feasible extensible object.
> So while I don't have the solution, I believe I can see a path.

Simple systems can be computationally universal, so it's not an issue
in itself. On the other hand, no learning algorithm is universal,
there are always distributions that given algorithms will learn
miserably. The problem is to find a learning algorithm/representation
that has the right kind of bias to implement human-like performance.

It's more or less clear that such representation needs to have
higher-level concepts that refine interactions between lower-level
concepts and are learned incrementally, built on existing concepts.
Association-like processes can port existing high-level circuits to
novel tasks for which they were not originally learned, which allows
some measure of general knowledge.

As I see it, the issue you are trying to solve is the porting of
structured high-level competencies. Which looks equivalent to the
general problem of association-building between structured
representations. Is it roughly a correct characterization of what you
are talking about?

--
Vladimir Nesov
[EMAIL PROTECTED]