Hi Stephen,

> Ben,
> Wikipedia has significant overlap with the topic list on the AGIRI Wiki.  I
> propose for discussion the notion that the AGIRI Wiki be content-compatible
> with Wikipedia along two dimensions:
>
> license - authors agree to the GNU Free Documentation License

I have no problem with that

> editorial standards - Wikipedia says that content should be sourced from one
> or more research papers or textbooks, not just from the personal knowledge
> of the author, or from some web page.

Well, I think it is appropriate that a wiki covering an in-development research
area should contain a mix of sourced and non-sourced contents, actually.

In many cases it's the non-sourced content that will be the most
valuable, because
it represents practical knowledge and experience of AGI researchers and
developers, which is too new or raw to have been put into the formal literature
yet.

>I concede in
> advance that most AGIRI Wiki authors will find Wikipedia editorial standards
> burdensome,

To me this is a pretty major point.

The challenge with an AGI wiki right now is to get people to contribute quality
content at all ... so I'm not psyched about, right now at the starting
stage, making
them jump through hoops in order to do so.

>but the benefit would be athat content from the AGIRI Wiki can
> be used to create new, or improve existing Wikipedia articles.

That would be the case so long as the license is in place, it doesn't require
everything to be sourced -- appropriate sourcing could always be
introduced at the time
of porting to Wikipedia.

As the author of a load of academic papers, I'm well aware of how
irritating and
time-consuming it is to properly reference sources.  If I have to do
that for text I place on
the AGIRI wiki, I'm not likely to contribute much to it, just like I
don't currently contribute
much to Wikipedia.  I just don't have the time....

>And if we
> can agree that on the  easy-to-achieve license, content from Wikipedia, e.g.
> my article on Hierarchical control systems can easily be imported into the
> AGIRI Wiki.

I don't see a problem with the license.

> Wikipedia is important to AGI, not only as an online encyclopedia that
> facilitates almost universal access to AGI related topics, but as a target
> for AI researchers that want to structure the text into a vast knowledge
> base.  Somewhere down the road to self-improvement, an AGI will be reading
> Wikipedia.

Along with the rest of the Web ...  for sure ;-)

-- Ben