Will,

In NARS I use dynamic resource allocation. See
http://nars.wang.googlepages.com/wang.computation.pdf and
http://www.cogsci.indiana.edu/pub/wang.resource.ps

A similar approach is Hofstadter's "parallel terraced scan", see
http://www.cogsci.indiana.edu/parallel.html

Beside the references you mentioned, you may also want to check out
the other works reported at 1996 AAAI Symposium on "Flexible
Computation" (http://flexcomp.microsoft.com/flexpr.htm),

and

Stuart Russell and Eric Wefald, Principles of Meta-Reasoning,
http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/russell91principles.html

plus the psychological literature on attention and memory.

I'd be very interested in your paper.

Pei