Another problem is how to judge the impressiveness of a demo,
especially if you're a non expert.  It's relatively easy to come up
with superficially impressive demos, which then turn out upon closer
investigation to be fraught with problems or just not scalable.  This
seems to happen all the time with robotics and computer vision, as
countless humanoids show.

So I think you're right.  The big money only arrives once most of the
research problems have been hammered out and a working prototype is
available for inspection.  Funding might appear earlier only if the
organisations involved are suitably convinced that (a) the promised
technology is going to arrive in the near future and (b) that there is
a strong first mover advantage to owning or influencing that
technology.

It may, as Ben says, be possible to ameliorate some of the costs using
open source methods.  Open source is not a panacea, but it could help
to turn AGI into more of a science than an art form in that it permits
experiments to be independently verified with greater ease and
provides more opportunities to "stand on the shoulders of giants".