Mike,
I've printed but not yet fully studied the Barsalou paper.  But I am still very
comforted by your quotation from his work:

... he posits as primary something more like 2)  an "agent-dependent
instruction manual. According to this metaphor, knowledge of  a category is not
a general description of its members. Instead a skill that  delivers highly
specialized packages of inferences to guide an agent's  interactions with
specific category members in particular situations. Across  different
situations, different packages tailor inferences to different goals and
situational constraints."

I am OK with this, for not only  does Texai have agents decomposed into skills,
but Texai is planned to be a large number of distributed agents situated in a
hierarchical control system.   Agents will share relevant portions of the same
ontology but their conceptual category members will indeed be different, i.e.
specialized to their particular requirements.  Each agent will possess cached
portions of the various distributed partitions of the Texai knowledge base.
In my view this design does not incorporate a database of generalized
categorical  knowledge that is relatively detached from the goals of specific
agents.

In contrast to Cyc, in which crisp symbolic facts, rules and query answering
are paramount, Texai will have skill acquisition as paramount.  And I mean any
skill which can be composed of sub-skills bottoming out in executable code with
real-world actuators and sensors.  The scripts that define these skills are to
be stored in the agent-local knowledge base in the same manner as any set of
agent-local facts, permitting reflective manipulation by Texai.

Some time before the end of this year the bootstrap English dialog system
should be available to interact with volunteer mentors.  Perhaps you can
propose some experiments at that point to demonstrate its shortcomings with
respect to the point you are making.

-Steve

Stephen L. Reed

Artificial Intelligence Researcher