2008/4/24 Mike Tintner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>  Just to illustrate further, here's the opening lines of today's Times
> sports report on a football match.[Liverpool v Chelsea] How on earth could
> this be understood without massive imaginative simulation? [Stephen?] And
> without mainly imaginative memories of football matches?

I think this is right, and that to be able to really understand
written text also requires reference to pre-linguistic concepts which
typically come from embodied experiences either gained in person or
vicariously by observation of others (through mirror systems).  You
can just look up the phrase "doubled over" in a dictionary (wordnet)
and find that it means to curl up in pain, but what does curling mean,
and what is pain?