John,

Background Note: My first full-time job was doing CAD for the first Boeing
737s - the first planes to be substantially designed by CAD. There was
little CAD software back then, so we had to create it ourselves. Starting
from wind tunnel data, we had to figure out how to place supports into wings
and bodies to be able to achieve the desired shape by bending flat sheet
metal over the supports. Note that cars utilize stamped metal, but airplanes
are entirely covered by bent sheets of metal.

Aircraft designers call this "the spline fit problem", which is an analog
(vs. digital) version of the interpolation/extrapolation problem.

The problem appears (to me) to boil down to much the same as the pattern
problem. There is some profound physics behind those long list of
coordinates from the wind tunnel, along with some noise due to the finite
amount of testing and optimization occurring there, measurement errors, etc.
We had to find simultaneous solutions between the "understanding" of shape
from the windtunnel and the "understanding" of what it took to achieve a
shape with bent sheets of metal.

I came in late in this process, which started with a "cooks tour" of past
failed efforts by the mathematicians who preceded me. They had (not
unexpectedly) run into the multiple solution problem, and had to strike a
balance between the presumed noise and how radical allowed solutions were.
Sure they could exactly fit the wind tunnel points, but it would take a lot
of supports and the skin would have some nasty ripples at points between the
coordinates, just as paper would have to be wrinkled to fit over misaligned
supports. Just like in the rest of the real world, no one knew how much of
the "data" was real and how much was noise until you tried to model with it,
and even then some of the presumed noise could in fact be imperfections in
your model, e.g. relativistic errors in Newtonian models.

Reading your comments somewhat through this lens...

On 5/16/08, John G. Rose <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  It's not just – oh now I recognize a pattern and can predict the next few
> items. It's oh I see and understand numerous patterns all intermeshed and
> have a rich knowledge base of raw and processed pattern data...and my
> operators are patterns, etc..

This is ONLY tractable when you understand substantially everything (as in
aircraft design). Where there remains a significant source of "noise" (read
that: More than one unrecognized phenomena), this goes nowhere. Further,
looking at the difference between what you do understand and what you do
observe only helps if the entire remainder is SO simple that you can learn
from this observation.

  Most stuff in the universe is patterns, but all intertwined and mixed
> together.

Agreed.

  Note: pattern is an overloaded term- there are several definitions.

Which is probably where most of our communications problems arise. I am
obviously new to this discussion. Any help to bring me up to speed would be
GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve Richfield