Matt Mahoney wrote:
--- Richard Loosemore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Steve Richfield wrote:
What I fail to see is how fully "understanding" the written/spoken
word is of any use to any computer program! What would you then do with
that understanding, since most of it will be beyond the ability of any computer program to do anything useful and accurate with?
If you mean this literally [!] then I am at a loss for words. Perhaps you mean something else by it.

This is a perfect example of the point Steve was trying to make.  Humans
can understand each other in spite of bad grammar such as missing words. You use your own knowledge to fill in the missing pieces. Analyzing
complex grammatical structure is mostly a waste of time.  The best
semantic model we have now is a bag of words and short phrases.  Word
order is mostly not important.

In my case, I understand Steve to mean a non-AGI program, which makes up
100% of the programs that exist today.

And Richard, I know you will never be literally at a loss for words, but I
know what you mean too.

Mercy me, I know I should ignore this, but I am tempted....

This talk about humans being able to understand each other in spite of ill-formed sentences is so old that I have books completely devoted to the subject, some of them written over 40 years ago. The field is called "Pragmatics".

And, ahh, you know that sentence of mine, that you cited as a perfect example of what Steve was talking about? It was supposed to be an example .... that is why I put a "[!]" in the middle of it, hoping that someone would notice the reference.

Richard Loosemore