http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/10/science/10plant.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1&ei=5087&em&en=484cb

A really interesting article about plant sensing. A bit O/T here but I'm posting it after the recent neurons discussion, because it all suggests that the control systems of living systems may indeed be considerably more complex than we are aware of. And I'd be interested if it prompts any speculations at all in that area, however wild. (I found Richard's idea about neuronal clusters interesting - anything similar/related v. welcome).

Some more:

"At the extreme of the equality movement, but still within mainstream science, are the members of the Society of Plant Neurobiology, a new group whose Web site describes it as broadly concerned with plant sensing.

The very name of the society is enough to upset many biologists. Neurobiology is the study of nervous systems - nerves, synapses and brains - that are known just in animals. That fact, for most scientists, makes the notion of plant neurobiology a combination of impossible, misleading and infuriating.

Thirty-six authors from universities that included Yale and Oxford were exasperated enough to publish an article last year, "Plant Neurobiology: No Brain, No Gain?" in the journal Trends in Plant Science. The scientists chide the new society for discussing possibilities like plant neurons and synapses, urging that the researchers abandon such "superficial analogies and questionable extrapolations."