Andy,

This is a PERFECT post, because it so perfectly illustrates a particular
point of detachment from reality that is common among AGIers. In the real
world we do certain things to achieve a good result, but when we design
politically correct AGIs, we banish the very logic that allows us to
function. For example, if you see a black man walking behind you at night,
you rightly worry, but if you include that in your AGI design, you would be
dismissed as a racist.

Effectively solving VERY VERY difficult problems, like why a particular
corporation is failing after other experts have failed, is a multiple-step
process that starts with narrowing down the vast field of possibilities. As
others have already pointed out here, this is often done in a rather summary
and non-probabilistic way. Perhaps all of the really successful programmers
that you have known have had long hair, so if the programming is failing and
the programmer has short hair, then maybe there is an attitude issue to look
into. Of course this does NOT necessarily mean that there is any linkage at
all - just another of many points to focus some attention to.

Similarly, over the course of >100 projects I have developed a long list of
"rules" that help me find the problems with a tractable amount of effort.
No, I don't usually tell others my poorly-formed rules because they prove
absolutely NOTHING, only focus further effort. I have a special assortment
of rules to apply whenever God is mentioned. After all, not everyone thinks
that God has the same motivations, so SOME approach is needed to "paradigm
shift" one person's statements to be able to be understood by another
person. The posting you responded to was expressing one such rule. That
having been said...

On 6/22/08, J. Andrew Rogers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Somewhere in the world, there is a PhD chemist and a born-again Christian
> on another mailing list "...the project had hit a serious snag, and so the
> investors brought in a consultant that would explain why the project was
> broken by defectively reasoning about dubious generalizations he pulled out
> of his ass..."

Of course I don't make any such (I freely admit to dubious) generalizations
to investors. However, I immediately drill down to find out exactly why THEY
SAY that they didn't stop and reconsider their direction when it should have
been obvious that things had gone off track. When I hear about how God just
couldn't have led them astray, I quote what they said in my report and
suggest that perhaps the problem is that God isn't also underwriting the
investment with limitless funds.

How would YOU (or your AGI) handle such situations? Would you (or your AGI)
ignore past empirical evidence because of lack of proof or political
incorrectness?

Steve Richfield