On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 6:32 AM, Steve Richfield
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Unsupervised learning? This could be really good for looking for strange
> things in blood samples. Now, I routinely order a "manual differential white
> count" that requires someone to manually look over the blood cells with a
> microscope. These typically cost ~US$25. Note that the routine counting of
> cell types in blood samples is already done by camera-driven AI programs in
> most labs.

I hadn't thought of blood samples, but that's an excellent example, thanks.

> Something like AutoCAD's mechanical simulations?

Yes, except better. An engineer wrote an excellent post on what would
be useful here:
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.nanotech/browse_thread/thread/ada3a83d1a284969/b713922d343e5371?lnk=st&q=#b713922d343e5371

> Present systems already highlight any changes.

Yep. Now let's extend that to highlighting suspicious changes while
ignoring a cat chasing a mouse.

> Similar to the program-by-example programming that is used with present
> automobile welding robots?

Yes, except able to work in more complex environments than an assembly line.

> This stuff all sounds pretty puny compared to the awe-inspiring hype of the
> Singularity people

Well, I'm a _former_ Singularitarian :) But...

> None of these things would seem to be worth devoting anyone's life
> toward. Am I missing something here?

Oh, you asked for specific examples, I thought you meant something a
little nearer term than ultimate visions.

My ultimate vision? I would break the bounds that currently trammel
our species, stem the global loss of fifty million lives a year and
open the path to space colonization. I would make Earth-descended
sentient life immortal. Imagine smart CAD programs helping design cell
repair nanomachines. Imagine an O'Neill habitat being built by a swarm
of robots with their human supervisors in pressurized environments.
None of this is beyond the conceptual limits of the human mind, but it
is beyond what humans can _reasonably_ do with present-day technology,
because it takes too much time. Unlike many posters here, I don't
believe human-equivalent AGI is feasible in any meaningful timescale.
Nor do I believe it's necessary. Humans can continue to make the
high-level decisions. What we need, to accomplish great things, is
machines that can handle the details.

That, I hope you'll agree, is worth devoting one's life toward?

> I believe that a complete revolution in man's dealing with his problems is
> right here to be had. Dr. Eliza certainly illustrates that there is probably
> enough low hanging fruit to be worth immediately redesigning the Internet to
> collect it and promptly extend the lives of most of the people on Earth.

That sounds interesting, can you be more specific on what you would do and how?