While searching for information about the Mitchell book to be published in 2009 <http://www.amazon.com/Core-Ideas-Sciences-Complexity/dp/0195124413/>, which was mentioned in passing by somebody in the last few days, I found a paper by the same author that I enjoyed reading and that will probably be of interest to others on this list.

The paper is entitled "Complex systems: Network thinking <http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/%7Emm/AIJ2006.pdf>", and it was published in _Artificial Intelligence_ in 2006. I'd guess that sections 6 and 7 may be the starting point for the 2009 book. Section 6 explains three natural complex systems: the immune system, foraging and task allocation in ant colonies, and cellular metabolism. Section 7 abstracts four fundamental principles that Mitchell argues are common to the three natural complex systems described and to "intelligence, self-awareness, and self-control in other decentralized systems."

The four principles are:

1. Global information is encoded as statistics and dynamics of patterns over the system's components.
2. Randomness and probabilities are essential.
3. The system carries out a fine-grained, parallel search of possibilities.
4. The system exhibits a continual interplay of bottom-up and top-down processes.

See the paper for some elaboration of each of the principles and more information. It's available at <http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~mm/publications.html>.