2008/7/1 Vladimir Nesov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 10:02 AM, Linas Vepstas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> What are you trying to accomplish here? I don't see where
>> you are trying to go with this.
>>
>> I don't think a human can consciously train one or two neurons
>> to do something, we train millions at a time. -- I'm guessing
>> savants only employ a few tens of million neurons (give or take a
>> few orders of magnitude) -- to do their stuff.
>>
>> Still, an array of 1K by 1K electrodes is well within current
>> technology, we just don't know where to hook this up to,
>> with the exception of simple motor areas, retina, and bit
>> of the auditory circuits.
>>

> Certainly nothing to do with individual neurons. Basically, it's
> possible to train a finite state automaton in the mind through
> association. You see a certain combination of properties, you think
> the symbol that describes this combination. If such automaton is
> trained not just to handle natural data (such as language), but to a
> specifically designed circuit plan, it'll probably be possible to use
> it as a directly accessible 'add-on' to the brain that implements
> specific simple function efficiently, such as some operation with
> numbers using a clever algorithm in a way alien to normal deliberative
> learning. You don't learn to perform a task, but to execute individual
> steps of an algorithm that performs a task.

Yes, but isn't the interesting case in the other direction?
We have ordinary computers that can already do quite
well computationally. What we *don't* have a a good
man-machine interface.  For example, modern disk drives
hold more bytes than the human mind can.  I don't want
to train myself for feats of memorization, I want automatic
and instant access to a disk drive.

So, perhaps by studying savants who are capable of
memorization feats, perhaps we can find the sort of neural
circuitry needed to interface to a disk drive. It is, perhaps
because savants have these unusual abilities, that it sheds
light on the kind of wiring that would be needed for electrodes.

--linas