YKY,

PLN, like NARS, uses inference trails

Although we have tried omitting them, and found interesting results:
errors do propagate, but not boundlessly, and network truth values are
still meaningful

Loopy Bayes nets basically "just live with the circularity" and rely
on math properties of the Bayes net propagation rules to remove the
possibility of error.  Nice stuff, but it only works under fairly
special assumptions.

Traditional Bayes nets just assume a hierarchical structure and ignore
the conditional probs not in accordance w/ the hierarchy, getting at
them only indirectly via the ones in the hierarchy.  This is why
structure learning is so important in Bayes nets.

-- Ben

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 4:10 AM, YKY (Yan King Yin)
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm considering nonmonotonic reasoning using Bayes net, and got stuck.
>
> There is an example on p483 of J Pearl's 1988 book PRIIS:
>
> Given:
> "birds can fly"
> "penguins are birds"
> "penguins cannot fly"
>
> The desiderata is to conclude that "penguins are birds, but penguins
> cannot fly".
>
> Pearl translates the KB to:
>   P(f | b) = high
>   P(f | p) = low
>   P(b | p) = high
> where high and low means arbitrarily close to 1 and 0, respectively.
>
> If you draw this on paper you'll see a triangular loop.
>
> Then Pearl continues to deduce:
>
> Conditioning P(f | p) on both b and ~b,
>    P(f | p) = P(f | p,b) P(b | p) + P(f | p,~b) [1-P(b | p)]
>                > P(f | p,b) P(b | p)
>
> Thus
>    P(f | p,b) < P(f | p) / P(b | p) which is close to 0.
>
> Thus Pearl concludes that "given penguin and bird, fly is not true".
>
> But I found something wrong here.  It seems that the Bayes net is
> loopy and we can conclude that "fly" given "penguin" and "bird" can be
> either 0 or 1.  (The loop is somewhat symmetric).
>
> Ben, do you have a similar problem dealing with nonmonotonicity using
> probabilistic networks?
>
> YKY

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must be
first overcome " - Dr Samuel Johnson