Mike, et al,

When you look at the actual experiments upon which what we think we know is
based, the information is SO thin that it is hard to come to any other
rational conclusion. I could describe some of these, where for example a
group of people spent a year putting electrodes into every one of the
neurons in a lobster's stomatogastric ganglion so that they could
electrically quiet all but two of them. This so that they could plot the
synaptic response curve between those two cells. Why did it take a year?
Because the neurons would die before they could make a recording. It took a
year or trying and failing before blind luck finally worked in their favor.

OK, so what does a synaptic response curve look like in our brain? Is it
linear like many people presume? NO ONE KNOWS. Everything written on this
subject is pure speculation.

I see only one possibly viable way through this problem. It will take two
parallel research efforts:
1.  One effort is purely theoretical, where the optimal solutions to various
processing problems is first exhibited, then the best solutions that can be
achieved in a cellular architecture are exhibited, then potentially
identifiable features are documented to guide wet-science efforts to
confirm/deny these theories.
2.  The other effort is a wet science effort armed with a scanning UV
fluorescence microscope (or something better if something better comes
along) that is charged with both confirming/denying identifiable details
predicted by various theories, and with producing physical diagrams of
brains to guide theoretical efforts.

At present, there is not one dollar of funding for either of these efforts,
so I expect to stay at the 2 micron point for the foreseeable future.

Steve Richfield