> > I have attached an earlier 2006 paper with *_pictures_* of the learned > >
> > transfer functions, which look a LOT like what is seen in a cat's an > >
> > money's visual processing.> > ... which is so low-level that it counts as
> > peripheral wiring.
True.  Still, it is kind of cool stuff for folks interested in how neural
systems might self-organize from sensory data.  The visual world has edges and
borders at various scales and degrees of sharpness and it is interesting to see
how that can be learned.  Unfortunately, although the linearity assumptions of
PCA might just barely allow this sort of "proto-V1" as in the paper, it doesn't
seem likely to extend further up in a feature abstraction hierarchy where more
complex relationships would seem to require nonlinearities.

Assuming the author's analysis is correct, the observation that the discovered
eigenvectors form groups that can express rotations of edge (etc) filters at
various frequencies is kind of nifty, even if it turns out not to be
biologically plausible.  I don't see any broad generalityfor AGI beyond very
low-level sensory processing given the limits of PCA and the sheer volume of
training data required to sort out the principal components of high-dimensional
inputs.

For a much more detailed, capable, and perhaps more neurally plausible model of
similar stuff, the work of Risto Miikkulainen's group is a lot of fun.