Jim Bromer wrote:
On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 2:58 PM, Brad Paulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
All,
   What does fomlepung mean?

If your immediate (mental) response was "I don't know." it means you're not
a slang-slinging Norwegian.  But, how did your brain produce that "feeling
of not knowing"?  And, how did it produce that feeling so fast?

Your brain may have been able to do a massively-parallel search of your
entire memory and come up "empty."  But, if it does this, it's subconscious.
 No one to whom I've presented the above question has reported a conscious
"feeling of searching" before having the conscious feeling of not knowing.

Brad

My guess that initial recognition must be based on the surface
features of an input.  If this is true, then that could suggest that
our initial recognition reactions are stimulated by distinct
components (or distinct groupings of components) that are found in the
surface input data.
Jim Bromer

Hmmm. That particular query may not have been the best example since, to a non-Norwegian speaker, the phonological surface feature of that statement alone could account for the "feeling of not knowing." In other words, the word "fomlepung" just "doesn't sound right." Good point. But, that may only explain how we know we don't know "strange sounding" words.

Let's try another example:

        Which team won the 1924 World Series?

Cheers,

Brad