Richard, Linas, David, etc.

Let's please move this dialogue to the AGI list (to which I've cc'd this) as
I'd prefer to reserve the OpenCog list for discussions that pertain to
OpenCog in a more direct way, rather than being of general AGI interest ...

-- Ben

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 3:51 PM, Linas Vepstas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> 2008/8/1 Richard Loosemore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >important
> > fact in this case is that if Conway had started out with the intention
> > of designing a cellular automaton with a particular set of very specific
> > characteristics (which is analogous to the AGI researchers intention to
> > build systems with the very specific characteristic of displaying
> > stable, human level intelligence), then there is nothing he could have
> > done beforehand to "design" or "engineer" his system to make it do what
> > he wanted it to do.  His only option was random exploration of the space
> > of possible systems.
>
> Bull.
>
> There are many theorems one can prove about cellular automata,
> so one's exploration is hardly "random".  You also seem to
> vastly underestimate Conway, or are perhaps unfamaliar with
> his work: he designed/engineered many rather amazing
> systems, and proved many fundamental theorems thereon.
> Calling the invention of his "game of life" as a "random
> exploration" is a major put-down of his abilities.
>
> As to the complexity of the game of life: it is now known that
> it is equivalent to a turing machine -- it is no more (and no
> less) complex than a turing machine, or equivalently, lambda
> calculus.  Are you implying that a system has to be functionally
> equivalent to a turing machine in order to be considered
> complex?
>
> --linas

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must be first
overcome " - Dr Samuel Johnson