I don't know, how do you do it? :-]  A human baby that grows up with virtual
reality hardware surgically implanted (never to experience anything but a
virtual reality) will have the same issues, right?

There is no difference in principle between "real" reality and virtual reality.
All we have is our senses and our abilities to internally structure a world
from the data that comes from them. That is how an AGI must do it - internally
structure.  To a virtually-embodied AGI, the "virtual" world would be its
"real" world. It wouldn't have access to our "real" world.

Terren